Juvederm Volux is the newest Juvederm product from the Allergan company, which was developed specifically for contour plastic surgery of the jaw and chin. It adds volume and definition to the contours of the face in the mentioned areas.
Juvederm Volux is a new generation filler for the voluminous correction of the lower third of the face, the chin area, the line of the edge of the lower jaw, and its corners. According to cosmetologists, the application of Juvederm Volux is an effective, safe, and minimally invasive alternative to plastic surgery.
What Is So Special About Juvederm Volux?
Allergan created Juvederm Volux using Vycross technology. The new formula of the active substance is distinguished by the synthesis of HA molecules of low mass, allowing to obtain a homogeneous, soft, and elastic gel structure.
This technology makes it possible to produce an active substance with connections between long and short molecule chains, ensuring the drug’s long-lasting effect.
Hyaluronic acid of non-animal origin attracts and retains moisture in skin cells. As a filler component, HA creates a kind of “depot” substance to eliminate the deficiency of soft tissues, contributing to the deep moisturization and elasticity of the skin and activating its metabolic processes.
Juvederm Volux also contains lidocaine – an anesthetic that allows for a painless procedure with a relaxed facial expression, helping achieve a more natural visual effect from the injection.
The acidity of the product’s phosphate buffer is pH 7.2. Its content reduces the risk of swelling during and after the procedure by stabilizing hyaluronic acid. Because of that, the effect of Juvederm Volux injections can last up to 24 months. Juvederm Volux is used for restoring volume and contouring the lower third of the face.
- Changed chin shape;
- The submandibular groove is less prominent than desired;
- Sagging of the oval of the face;
- Poorly pronounced corners of the lower jaw;
- Hypertrophied narrowed lower third of the face;
- Reduced vertical dimensions of the chin.
Juvederm Volux cannot be injected into the periorbital area, glabella, and lips.
The patient should refrain from drinking alcohol on the day of the injections. The procedure of the Juvederm Volux application takes 30-40 minutes. Lidocaine in the gel makes the injections almost painless.
After the procedure, slight swelling, redness, bruising, and compaction are possible – they will disappear within one week.
The effect of Juvederm Volux contour plastic surgery is visible immediately after the treatment. The complete results of the correction will be preserved for 12 months, and then the filler will gradually begin to dissolve.
The Juvederm Volux filler can help to achieve the following results:
- A clear face oval;
- Pronounced corners of the lower jaw;
- A more prominent chin.
How Long Does Juvederm Volux Last?
The longevity of Juvederm Volux results can vary depending o the individual’s metabolism, the treated area, and the patient’s lifestyle factors.
Typically, the effects of Juvederm Volux last up to 24 months. After this period, repeated treatments will help sustain the desired results over time.
Safety and Contraindications of Juvederm Volux
Juvederm Volux products are entirely natural and safe, and they do not contain substances with sensitizing potential.
While new Juvederm filler is well-tolerated by most individuals, specific contraindications make it unsuitable for some patients, including the following cases:
- High sensitivity to any of the components of Juvederm Volux;
- Porphyria or epilepsy;
- Pregnancy and lactation period;
- Acute stage of chronic diseases;
- Inflammatory processes and infection on the skin in the area of filler administration;
- Scars in the area of injection;
- Tendency to the formation of keloid scars;
- Taking anticoagulants;
- Autoimmune diseases;
- Herpes in an active stage.
Juvederm Volux Benefits and Side Effects
Here are some of the main advantages of using Juvederm Volux filler for the jawline:
- The lower third of the face is a problematic area to correct. It is characterized by active facial expressions, a thin layer of soft tissues, and vessels responsible for supplying blood to the entire face pass here. Juvederm Volux manufacturers considered all the zone’s features and created an effective filler with the necessary properties.
- The gel is evenly distributed, reliably fixed at the injection site, and provides a long-term result due to the ability to maintain integrity, resistance to spreading, and elasticity;
- The drug does not cause severe side effects.
As with any dermal filler treatment, there are potential side effects and risks to consider before the Juvederm Volux filler treatment. Common adverse effects may include temporary redness, swelling, or bruising, and tenderness at the injection sites, but they usually resolve on their own within a few days.
Serious complications are rare but can occur, so the patient must follow post-treatment care guidelines and consult a doctor if any troubling symptoms arise.
Juvederm Volux Post Care
Proper aftercare ensures optimal results and minimizes potential complications after Juvederm Volux treatment. Here is the list of guidelines that your patients can follow:
- Avoid vigorous exercise or activities that can cause hypothermia of the skin for at least 24 hours after the treatment.
- Don’t stay under direct sunlight for a long time without a broad-spectrum sunscreen with a high SPF, and avoid prolonged exposure to ultraviolet radiation and temperatures below 0 °C.
- Refrain from using makeup on the treated areas for the first 12 hours after the procedure to reduce the risk of irritation or infection and let the skin heal properly.
- Do not take a hot bath within 12 hours after the introduction of the drug.
- Avoid bathhouses, saunas, tanning beds, and swimming pools for two weeks after the procedure.
- Avoid facial massages, peelings, and other mechanical actions on the skin for 10 to 14 days after the procedure.
- Refrain from kneading the injection site and applying compresses for seven days after the procedure.
Juvederm Volux is a new Allergan product specially designed for contour plastic surgery of the jaw and chin. Thanks to the modernized composition, the manufacturer could significantly increase the duration of the filler – the effect after injections lasts up to 24 months.
Contour plastic surgery using Juvederm Volux can be part of complex face correction procedures or performed separately. With the help of this filler, it is possible to remove “bulldog” cheeks, improve the shape of the chin, eliminate asymmetry, and correct the shape of the lower jaw.
Is the new filler Volux from Juvederm FDA-approved?
Yes, Juvederm Volux is approved by FDA.
Can Juvederm Volux be dissolved if you are not happy with the results?
Juvederm Volux jawline filler is an HA-based product; therefore, it can be dissolved with hyaluronidase injection.
FDA approves JUVÉDERM VOLUX XC for improvement of jawline definition. AbbVie. August 3, 2022. Accessed August 3, 2022. https://news.abbvie.com/news/press-releases/fda-approves-juvderm-volux-xc-for-improvement-jawline-definition.htm?view_id=5591.
Ogilvie, P., Benouaiche, L., Philipp-Dormston, W. G., Belhaouari, L., Gaymans, F., Sattler, G., Harvey, C., & Schumacher, A. (2020). VYC-25L Hyaluronic Acid Injectable Gel Is Safe and Effective for Long-Term Restoration and Creation of Volume of the Lower Face. Aesthetic surgery journal, 40(9), NP499–NP510. https://doi.org/10.1093/asj/sjaa013.
Juvederm official website: https://www.juvederm.com/treatment/jawline-filler.
Here’s What We Know About the New FDA approved Juvéderm Volux Dermal Filler, American Board of Cosmetic Surgery, October 2022, https://www.americanboardcosmeticsurgery.org/news/new-fda-approved-juvederm-volux-dermal-filler/
March B. Why everyone’s talking about jaw filler in 2020. An aesthetic doctor explains why we’re all asking for Juvéderm Volux in a quest for more defined jawlines. Harper’s Bazaar. January 2020. https://www.harpersbazaar.com/uk/beauty/skincare/a30593390/jaw-filler/.