What is Monovisc?
Monovisc is a single dose, intraarticular injection of cross-linked sodium hyaluronate designed to treat the symptoms of osteoarthritis. This orthopedic injectable is manufactured from ultra-pure, high molecular weight sodium hyaluronate produced by bacterial fermentation. Monovisc is indicated as a viscosupplement or as a replacement for synovial fluid in human joints. It is well suited for the treatment of symptoms of human joint dysfunctions, such as osteoarthritis in patients who have not responded sufficiently to first-line treatments such as physical therapy and pain medication. Monovisc is Food and Drug Administration (FDA)-cleared, receiving approval in 2014. This product is manufactured by Anika Therapeutics, an international medical technology organization with specialization in tissue regeneration, wound healing and pain management.
What product does the Monovisc brand consist of?
How much does this product cost?
- Monovisc: $329–$349
What are the benefits of Monovisc?
- Non-avian origin: The main ingredient of Monovisc is derived from a bacterial, non-avian source, meaning that this injectable can be used by patients allergic to avian products.
- Single-injection regimen: Monovisc is given in a convenient single dose—no weekly or serial injections required.
- Stabilized for longer-lasting pain relief: Monovisc’s main ingredient is chemically modified (light cross-linking) to enhance the longevity of results.
How long do the results of this orthopaedic injectable last?
Monovisc provides long-lasting pain relief for up to 26 weeks.
Is there recovery time associated with the Monovisc product?
There is minimal recovery associated with Monovisc.
Is it safe?
Monovisc injections are very safe for most patients. Since the hyaluronan in Monovisc comes from bacterial fermentation and not from rooster combs, it is safe to use with patients who are allergic to birds, eggs, and feathers without causing an allergic reaction. There are some contraindications associated with this product, as with all medications.
Monovisc is contraindicated in the following types of patients:
- patients with a known sensitivity to sodium hyaluronate or other ingredients in this injectable
- patients who are allergic to gram-positive bacterial proteins
- patients with areas of pre-existing skin infections at the injection site
- patients with known systemic bleeding disorder
- pregnant or breastfeeding women
- children (under 18 years of age).
These may not be all the contraindications for the Monovisc product. Some Monovisc products may have different contraindications from other products in the brand. Refer to the package insert of a Monovisc product for more information on its contraindications.
The side effects of Monovisc products can include, but are not limited to, the following:
- joint swelling
- joint effusion
- joint pain
- injection site pain.