What Causes Fine Lines and How Do You Get Rid of Them?
- Dr. J. Patras - December 5th 2019
When it comes to fine lines and wrinkles, there are many different potential causes. It is important to understand what causes you can attribute to your specific case, as this is often the deciding factor when considering treatments. It also helps to understand the general causes of fine lines and wrinkles so that you can be proactive in slowing down their appearance.
Common Causes of Fine Lines and Wrinkles
Some of the most common causes of fine lines and wrinkles include the following:
- Age: Unfortunately, there is little to be done for the aging process. As the skin ages, the body slows down its collagen and elastin production. This mostly happens in areas surrounding the eyes, mouth, neck and forearms, causing fine lines and wrinkles.
- The Sun: Exposure to the sun’s ultraviolet rays breaks down your skin’s connective tissue and speeds up the skin’s aging process.
- Facial Movement: Repeated facial movements that tense the muscles also cause wrinkles and fine lines. These include nasolabial folds, laugh lines, and brow furrows from expressions like squinting and frowning.
- Smoking: Smoking changes how the blood oxidizes and circulates throughout the body. It also damages the production of collagen and elastin in the body, essentially speeding up the body’s aging process.
- Alcohol: Drinking alcohol depletes the body of vitamin A, which is crucial to skin health, and dehydrates the skin, which can cause wrinkles.
How to Protect Yourself from Fine Lines and Wrinkles
While there is little to be done to stop some of the causes of fine lines and wrinkles, there are many options available for slowing down the process. These include the following:
- Protect Your Skin: Avoiding direct contact with the sun’s rays is a great way to slow down or prevent early signs of aging.
- Healthy Diet: When it comes to the skin, foods that contain vitamins D, A, and E are excellent for the skin. Removing sugars, bad starches, and saturated fats from your diet is also recommended.
- Water: Drinking plenty of water is key to healthy skin. Water provides the body with much-needed hydration that keeps the skin soft and voluminous. It also helps flush toxins out of the body.
- Moisturize: Applying a high-quality moisturizer helps the skin retain its elasticity.
How to Get Rid of Fine Lines and Wrinkles
No matter how vigilant you are, wrinkles and fine lines are a normal part of the aging process. When they do appear, dermal fillers and injectables are a popular and effective way of reducing their appearance that is more affordable and less invasive than plastic surgery. Popular dermal fillers brands include the following:
- Juvederm, Restylane: Used for many purposes, including filling in fine lines and deep wrinkles and folds around the eyes, mouth, brows, neck, and chin. These formulas contain a mixture of hyaluronic acid that is cross-linked with BDE or lidocaine.
- Botox: Used to smooth the skin by preventing muscle contractions that highlight wrinkles, Botox contains botulism toxin type A.
- Radiesse: Excellent for reducing the appearance of deep wrinkles and folds like frown lines, brow creases, and nasolabial folds around the mouth, Radiesse contains calcium hydroxylapatite.
The fillers above are commonly used by physicians and contain minerals and compounds that are already found in the body, making them unlikely to cause serious side effects. If you wish to get rid of wrinkles and fine lines, consider talking to your doctor or dermatologist about dermal fillers today.